Wednesday, December 10, 2014

With Assistive Communication Their Voices Will Still Be Heard

WEDNSDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2014

With Assistive Communication Their Voices Will Still Be Heard

The loss of words hurts.  If you know of someone who is in danger of losing their words because of Huntington's disease, HD, I hope you will become a their advocate and look for the tools that will continue to give them a voice.  Please feel free to contact me or find helpful resources on the internet such as CommunicatePA. 
There are times I struggle to understand what someone with HD is telling me.  I often ask someone to repeat what they are saying.  There are many occasions I apologize as, despite their repeated efforts, I still cannot understand what they are saying.  I am glad when I find photos on the walls and window sills of a room in a nursing home.  Those pictures give me something to talk about during my visit to an individual with HD.  This is especially true when their advance Huntington’s symptoms includes their loss of understandable verbal communication.
These experiences heighten my sympathy and encourage me to advocate for support for anyone who is losing their ability to speak.
Within the last two months my advocacy has been successful.  For two individuals with HD, in two different nursing homes, the speech and communication therapists are preparing both of them for the time they will need assistive communication.  Both of them still talk.  For one, it is difficult to understand her on the phone and when she is upset almost impossible.  For the other, a young man in his late 20s, he admits that sometimes he cannot remember the word he wants to use.  I am thrilled that both individuals will continue to have words even when those words are not coming from their mouth. Work is underway to prepare both of them to use assistive communication.
It is important to use assistive communication early.  First, this specialized equipment is expensive and finding the funds for it can take time.  I expect that cost will become less of an issue as inexpensive assistive technology apps become available for downloading onto someone's cell phones and tablets.  My firsthand experience came from downloading free versions of the apps, Talking Tiles and Prologuo2Go.  The ability to learn is a second reason to start early.  The ability to learn new things becomes harder the more that someone's HD is advanced.  Last and the most important reason is that they both can still speak.  They can record their own voice.  They can decide what is important to them and record those words and phrases to prepare for the time when they cannot do so.
I am thrilled for these two individuals. Their words will not be lost.  With the help of assistive communication they will continue, despite their HD, to share their words.  Their voice will continue to be heard.


 I CAN BE REACHED 

BY PHONE AT 215-219-3521,

 BY EMAIL AT JOANNEHDCARE@PHILLYCUREHD.ORG,  

I ALSO REGULARLY POST ON MY 

FACEBOOK AND GOOGLE+  PAGES. 


 I ALSO MANAGE PHILLY CURE HD'S 

WEBPAGE, 

FACEBOOK , 

GOOGLE+,

 PINTEREST, AND YOUTUBE PAGES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment