Thursday, March 5, 2015

Create A Joy List


In my mind February is the longest month despite it actually being only 28 days.  For most of February, or to be honest probably starting mid January, I struggled, I found it hard to experience any “joy.”  My self-diagnosis, seasonal affect disorder compounded with compassion fatigue.   I was emotionally drained.  I felt a reduced sense of personal accomplishment.  Mentally and physically I was exhausted.  What would improve my outlook? What would bring the “joy” back?

As I was chatting with a Huntington's disease caregiver, I suggested we both needed to “create a Joy List.”  We needed to remind ourselves of the things that bring us “joy.”  We agreed that the act of “creating our Joy List” or even just looking at our “Joy List” would perk us up and bring us “joy.”

Last week I took my own advice, and “created a Joy List.”  As a visual person, I decided my list would be images of things that bring me "joy" that I post on a new Pinterest Board that I call “My Joy List.”  Right from the beginning I found it working.   It was a “joy” to search for images for the first few items I pinned to my list: my husband, my children, and a cup of tea.  They bring me "joy."  I was excited and joyful in this simple little activity.  That first night it would have been easy to add more to my list but I wanted to spread the "joy" out.  Since then I have added a few more “joys” to my list.   Today I pinned Jeanne Robinson’s video “Don't Bungee Jump Naked!"  Watching Mrs. Robinson always brings me "joy."  I'm looking forward, with "joy", to the first time I see crocus this spring, I will pin a picture of crocus to my list that day.  It is going to be easy to add something new on a regular basis.  My new "Joy List" is bringing me "joy."

My “Joy List” is growing.   I am looking forward to adding more to my “Joy List” and I encourage you to do the same.  You may want to use Pinterest or even just a paper and pencil but “create your Joy List.”  I hope you will share with me the “joys” you find when you “create your Joy List.








I CAN BE REACHED 

BY PHONE AT 215-219-3521,

 BY EMAIL AT JOANNEHDCARE@PHILLYCUREHD.ORG,  

I ALSO REGULARLY POST ON MY 

FACEBOOK AND GOOGLE+  PAGES. 


 I ALSO MANAGE PHILLY CURE HD'S 

WEBPAGE, 

FACEBOOK , 

GOOGLE+,

 PINTEREST, AND YOUTUBE PAGES.



No comments:

Post a Comment